Tuesday, October 24, 2006

10/24

So, we made the official decision to pull Jadyn out of public school this week so she can join Bridger and I at home. It is a little earlier than we thought we would. She was my first homeschool experience almost 2 years ago and it was did not go well at. But looking back at it now, I realize that I was a terrible teacher and all I was trying to do was recreate the public school experience. But now that I know better I do better, right?

Jadyn thrives on social interaction so when we move I must find a group we can get together with often besides playing with the neighbor kids. Jadyn said that she might even want to go to public school when we get to Virginia and I don't want that to happen. So if I can keep her engaged I don't think I have to worry about her checking out on me.

The whole homeschool deal came into our lives January 2004 when I attended a Parent-Teacher Conference for Jadyn in the first grade. The school had already worn me out over Bridger and his struggle to read and they insisted he was ADD. So after a year of Psych appts I finally agreed to medication and I was highly frustrated with the whole system. So back to this conference...I showed up at my appointed time and I was greeted by the teacher and the school counselor. My first thoughts were, "Here we go again!" I have done this before with Bridger and now Jadyn is going down the same road. The teacher basically said that Jadyn had not progressed at all and was no where near the first grade level. BUT WHY was my question!!

Why is it that she had been going to that school for Pre-K, Kindergarten, and First Grade but she is no where near grade level? They could not give me that answer but I clearly got the message that I was not doing enough at home for her!! So, after much thought and prayer I decided to bring her home and we would get through this mess together. After only 5 months at home, I was able to catch her up to grade level. She wanted to go back to school, so I let her.

Bridger was watching this process the whole time and he decided that he really wanted to be homeschooled. So that next school year I let him stay home and he has thrived in this enviroment. I have taken him off his medication because he doesn't have to conform anymore. I have made a lot of cirriculum changes over the past 2 years but I think I have finally found my groove as their teacher and have a clear understanding what it is I want my children to know. It has been an uphill battle and I have had very little support from others, but I have not really reached out to others either. Most of my friends think I am nuts to homeschool, but that is something I can deal with!

This is what I have for cirriculum so far that I am really enjoying:

Sonlight Core- American History (They don't even teach history in elementary school!)
Saxon- Math (I love this program)
Explode the Code (A great program for struggling readers)
Hooked on Phonics (Another great program for reading)
The Young Scientists Club (they mail us a science kit every 2 weeks)
First Language Lessons (book by Jessie Wise)

We also have a goal to read all the Newberry Winner books- so we do a LOT of reading with Sonlight and that goal. I am still exploring some Art cirriculum and Dad has been doing some Geography with the kids also.

So as you can see we are a work in process but I can feel good that no matter what I do at home- it is still superior to what they were force fed at school.

1 Comments:

Blogger LEIGH said...

I am so thankful that you are paving this road ahead of me - I will definitely be seeking your wisdom in the near future regarding all-things-homeschooling!

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home